

**Newbold Board Meeting**  
**December 12, 2024 at 7:00pm**

**Participants**

**Board Members:**

President Bruce Williams  
Secretary Kevin Gilchrest  
Buildings Lead Patrice Sullivan  
Treasurer Peter Bromley  
Grounds Lead Jose Figueroa  
Deputy Treasurer Jonathan Midura  
Landscape Committee Liaison Chris Spanos

**Property Manager**

Marie Beck

**Owners**

Reba Burns, Frank Salatel, Linda Saletel, Ken Terzian

**Motion(s)**

1. The board unanimously approved to move forward with a bulkhead inspection from Marine Solutions.
2. The board unanimously approved the 2025 Bella Terra contract for \$12,540.

**Discussion**

**Jonathan** began the meeting by giving an overview of the process of working with Marine Solutions to get another inspection of the bulkhead, including reaching out to numerous other contractors for bids. Bruce asked if there were any questions.

**Bruce:** Someone want to move approval for Marine Solutionis to go forward with the inspection?

Jonathan moved and Kevin seconded. The motion was approved unanimously.

**Bruce:** Next up is pool repairs. Marie, did you want to talk about possible skimmer replacements?

**Marie:** They think they found out why we're leaking. They gave us prices to do the repairs and they can do those in the Spring. Hopefully, that takes care of all the water we've been wasting.

**Bruce:** The price to do four skimmers?

**Marie:** They proposed to cut out and replace four skimmers for \$8,400.

**Bruce:** Any board discussion on doing that skimmer replacement? Did you get an indication from them that this is the likely cause of the leak?

**Marie:** They found another leak with the light and they fixed that. They feel like that's what the problem is.

**Bruce:** We don't have to do anything about that yet because they will do the work when they uncover the pool.

**Marie:** Right, but the quote they gave us has a comment that says this quote is valid for 90 days. They gave this to us Nov. 8th.

**Bruce:** So we're looking about the first of Feb. So we don't have to decide now but we need to decide at the beginning of the budget discussion.

**Peter:** Bruce, we haven't budgeted anything for this, right?

**Bruce:** The skimmer replacement is included in the reserve account but I've put a note for the company that's going to do the reserve report after the first of the year to look at that and make sure that is included as a call out on the pool because I couldn't find it, it was a little hard to decipher whether that is covered and they generally say the reserves cover the things that are in the report but if it's not in the report they don't cover it; so hurry up and get it in there if it's not in there.

**Peter:** My experience with pools is that it's always something. But I don't know how you would put skimmers in there but the important thing is is that we find a way to pay for it. I can see how it would be left out of the report. But it's always something.

**Bruce:** And I'm basically talking about the semantics of how you cover that cost if it's not called out individually. We've replaced the light and we've replaced some other things that are considerably less than \$8,400.

**Jonathan:** That's reserve fund, right?

**Bruce:** I believe so.

**Kevin:** The leak has been ongoing for years and Coastal has claimed they have fixed it a few times. I'm concerned about that. Regarding the skimmers, is this a situation where we get another bid and another opinion? I know we have a contract with Coastal.

**Bruce:** One of the skimmers was non-functioning or some other issue kept the one that was closest to building three basically not in use. Marie?

**Marie:** I believe they found that it was leaking so they plugged it up so it's not functioning, they plugged it so it wouldn't leak.

**Peter:** When they replace the skimmers, do they also have to replace the decking?

**Marie:** They didn't elaborate on how it's done. They just proposed to cut out and replace four skimmers around the pool. I can get them to tell me how they're going to do it and if there will be any invasiveness to the deck.

**Bruce:** If it's a question of cutting a small area that's different than cutting four or five feet. They can't just pull the little box that it's in. But to get to \$8,400, there's going to be some work. Kevin in answer to the original part of your question about a bid. I've just been going through papers and I found someone who was bidding on some aspect of the pool about three years ago. I'll see what that is and see if we have any information on anybody else who might do something.

**Kevin:** Okay. I would be happy to take that on, too. To search out someone else to be on the safe side to get another opinion. What I know about pools and skimmers is at zero percent so the more information I could receive from a professional, I would feel more at ease approving \$8,000 to fix something that I know nothing about.

**Bruce:** I will look for that and send you that information and send you anything else I've got if you want to get to it. Any other questions on that? Sewer work, the manhole is imminent. I know Harry Caswell is going to do the work and he was there with the director of public works earlier this week. He said there going to have to cut into the asphalt to find the exact location of the sewer and they're going to do it and make it all good as new and they're coming out soon. That's in front of twenty three and twenty four. Marie, did we find anything else about the smell in the courtyard? Did the city come out?

**Marie:** The city has been out twice. I have not smelled anything since.

**Jonathan:** It definitely was emanating from their sewage thing. My wife, who would not like the smell of sewage, I had to bring her over and even in the cold she was able to say, "oh no it reeks over here," so if Marie says the smell is gone that is a good sign.

**Bruce:** We still have to consider whether we're going to put in cleanouts. I think the only incident we've had recently was in unit thirty nine, but that turned out to be a cracked seal in a toilet. I went over today the list Jonathan and I worked up to have questions for the consultant who is going to update the reserve study. And we wanted to share that with owners to help us see if we missed anything. Discussion about the status of the landscape committee.

**Chris:** Thanks, Bruce. So before we get into the listed items. One item to bring upfront is the renewal of the contract from Bella Terra for 2025. We had budgeted \$13,184. The contract is for \$12,540 so I would suggest we vote to approve that contract and get that underway. The rump committee such as it is, is requesting that the delta between the budgeted amount and the contracted amount be spent on other short term landscaping needs. That's pretty vague so I'm going to go back to the committee and ask them to specify what that means before bringing it back to the board for any approval of potential spending of excess funds which we may or may not want to do given things like the skimmer situation. So, I submit we vote to approve the Bella Terra contract. It's fairly normal course and it's under budget.

**Bruce:** Anyone want to make a motion on that to approve the Bella Terra contract?

Peter moved and Jonathan seconded and the motion was approved unanimously.

**Chris:** As we know we had Amy and Ana resign from the landscape committee. We are left with three members: Don Petty, Mary Jo Bondy, and Chris Piper. As a board we should discuss and decide at our next meeting whether we want to continue this committee. If we do want to continue the committee, Don Sebastian has offered to join it. There are two landscape issues. There are two dead trees that need to be removed and replaced. Amy has provided me with a lot of documents and emails, much of it related to the replacement of the trees. And the second is the ongoing beautification project related to the entrance. Potentially, a lot of work for the grounds committee to take on. It may justify the continuation of the landscape committee. We need to have that conversation between now and the next board meeting and make a decision.

**Bruce:** Another potential complication is that the city arborist resigned a year ago and was doing work on a contract basis; and now there is a new arborist on board.

**Chris:** I think we have all the necessary approvals and direction from the city. It's more about aligning Complete Tree Care, Bella Terra, where do we want to put the new trees, how does that play with the beautification project? The reality is that there was disharmony between the committee members on these various topics which is one of the reasons they've been delayed.

So we have to figure out what construct we want in order to move these things forward or not. Certainly removing and replacing trees is something we should do. Whether we go forward with the beautification project is something we have to consider in detail.

**Bruce:** A reminder the two dead trees are by the shed and at the end of building one.

**Chris:** So if we pick the tree issue up we can get that resolved before the next board meeting and get this resolved as the Spring approaches.

**Bruce:** Your sense is a good place is to let it rest for this meeting.

**Chris:** What we need to figure out as a board, what's the best way of giving ourselves a chance of having a functioning landscape committee that will address normal course items as well as extraneous items like the beautification project which is involved. Amy did an amazing amount of work on that; it's also expensive. At the end of the day it's going to require the community to determine how to pay for it if it wants to do it. Past proposals involved have talked about beautifying property next to us that we don't own. There's been a scaled down plan that just involves our property. There's a lot to consider here and certainly working with the city to ensure that whatever we do is within their guidelines. Amy did a tremendous amount of work getting us to that point. Any variation from there might cause a restart on that process.

**Patrice:** Thank you so much for presenting that and updating all of us. It seems like moving forward: simplifying, focus, and staying on task is what everybody is onboard for, and staying within the budget. Thank you for that. I hate to lose Amy's complete grasp of everything that she's done, especially in representation with the town. I have a feeling we'll be able to pull this together and work as a community. Thank you very much. And thank you to everybody else. I actually have to jump. My phone keeps freezing. I can't get it off mute and unmute. And I'll look forward to catching up and seeing what happened the rest of the meeting. Happy Holidays everybody!

**Chris:** Thanks, Patrice.

**Marie:** Before we move on I think it's important that we address the dead trees for the winter so we get on the tree company's schedule because they're very busy. In order to have those dead trees removed we need to have a plan for replacement. That should be a priority right now and taken care of over the winter. Unless you want to see the trees being taken care of when everybody's there this Spring.

**Chris:** Marie we can certainly do that. I just need to go over all the documentation Amy gave me in order to provide you and others the direction to begin executing on that.

**Bruce:** I've got some updates. They were paving Scarborough Ave. extension and we should have a newly paved street. I did get the report filed with the treasury department on December first and on December fourth there was an injunction filed and it says basically everyone who thought they had to file by December thirty first, at the moment, doesn't have to. But we did. We only have to make a change to the report within thirty days if there is a change within the board. I'm assuming everybody got their reassessment notice. The lower units were around \$424,000 and the upper units were around \$824,000. Pool furniture. We wanted to get some ordered. Marie, you stopped by Furniture and More? Did you find anything out?

**Marie:** Yes. Unfortunately they do not sell acrylic clear tabletop ones. They have the same style and one just a little different, which I didn't care for, of the plastic type of material they are using for tables. They were \$900 for a forty-eight round. So, we have a choice. Tyndalls or Furniture and More.

**Bruce:** Price for Tyndalls for the table?

**Marie:** I believe January the price is going to go up.

**Bruce:** September they went up.

**Marie:** The slat table the 2025 price for Tyndalls is \$1,129. The hammered look was \$639. That was for both. It didn't matter the style.

**Bruce:** Furniture and More is a better price?

**Marie:** There's is \$900. It depends which style you're getting. The slat table was the one at Furniture and More. So, \$1,129 is Tyndall's price. \$900 is Furniture and More. But if you get the hammered look, it's \$639 at Tyndalls.

**Bruce:** And they have examples to look at?

**Marie:** Yes, they have them there at the store.

**Bruce:** I am going to be down there for a couple days starting tomorrow. I could take a look, if anybody else wants to take a look and see which is the closest or what is the best. Is anything an exact match for what we have? We have one solid table and the other tops were acrylic.

**Marie:** I believe the solid table we have is not the hammered look, I think that's the fiberglass one that we had. Their hammered look one does not look bad at Tyndalls.

**Chris:** Do you have pictures?

**Marie:** Yes, I believe I sent those to you Bruce, didn't I?

**Bruce:** I think so. I'll look. I came across that piece of paper today. Did Furniture and More say anything about lead time?

**Marie:** No, sorry, I didn't ask them that. Tyndall's would take four to eight weeks depending on what we wanted.

**Bruce:** The gate lock. Did you get that finished?

**Marie:** No, I went there today to do it but I couldn't get across the road so I'll be down this weekend to finish it.

**Bruce:** Peter, can you look into potentially if we put a little money in CD's to earn something? Frank suggested last time and we should find out what our possibilities and options are. Starting with our bank.

**Peter:** It's hard to say what's happening with interest rates with the new administration. But, sure, I will do the research and see what I can come up with.

**Bruce:** I think that's everything I've got.

**Chris:** The falling mailboxes that Amy wrote the board about?

**Bruce:** Do we know if we have to comply with some sort of regulation or they won't deliver to them?

**Chris:** One of them is about to fall over and it's our responsibility to replace them.

**Marie:** I was looking online at the replacement part for that. They are running about \$60 and they're just bolted on so it's not going to be hard to purchase that. There's two that need to be replaced, they're rusting outside. So, if you want me to, I can go ahead and get those ordered and get them on.

Bruce, Chris, and Peter agreed for Marie to proceed.

**Kevin:** What is the replacement part that fixes the mailbox?

**Marie:** It's the leg that holds the big box up.

**Kevin:** The whole post?

**Marie:** Yes.

**Kevin:** This happened a few years ago and Amy contacted the post office. The post office fixed it, their policy has changed. Last time, the smaller one in the middle fell over and the mailman put it on top of one of the other ones and continued delivering mail. The box was sitting on top of another box. Amy tried to go through the same channels this time and was told it's our problem. The post office basically said contact your HOA to get this fixed. It's nice to know it's only going to be \$60 I guess.

**Bruce:** Anything else? Any comments or questions from any owners? Well, we already have some agenda items for our next meeting. We are adjourned.



