

**Newbold Board Meeting**  
**November 7, 2024 at 7:00pm**

**Participants**

**Board Members:**

President Bruce Williams  
Secretary Kevin Gilchrest  
Treasurer Peter Bromley  
Deputy Treasurer Jonathan Midura  
Landscape Committee Liaison Chris Spanos

**Landscape Committee**

Amy Moredock

**Property Manager**

Marie Beck

**Owners**

Reba Burns, Frank Salatel, Richard Weening

**Motion(s)**

The board unanimously approved the minutes for meetings from February 8, February 15, March 28, April 11, May 9, July 15, August 22, and October 10. From the year 2024.

**Discussion**

**Bruce:** The first order of business is to approve minutes for Feb 8, 15, March 28, April 11, May 9, July 15, August 22, October 10.

Peter moved and Chris seconded and minutes were approved unanimously.

**Bruce:** I have a group of items to add to the agenda that is Marie giving updates. Marie not having access to two units, possible sewer smell, update on the pool, the dryer vents, chimney inspections, and pool furniture. The minutes are now up to date and I want to post them on the website. Does anyone have any comments on the website? Next on the agenda is updating for beneficial ownership filing. Everyone needs to do this by the end of the year. We have to supply name, birthdate, address, and either driver's license or passport scanned. Reserve chart distribution, Jonathan, I think we're close on that; we can pass that along to the owners for input. Next on the agenda is smoking and garbage policy. Chris?

**Chris:** The smoking policy is ambiguous and full of potential loopholes. What we discussed were a number of different versions of the policy and creating a survey for the owners to get input from them. I created a google doc as a document in progress and sent it to the board.

**Bruce:** Our lawyer said the board could change policy regarding common areas but anything inside would require a vote from the owners. Does anyone have any comments on that?

Reba commented that she bans smoking for her renters; Frank commented that you should include vaping into the discussion, and that you should stipulate who monitors for adherence and what happens to violators. Rick asked about how the board could move to ban smoking inside units and Jonathan commented that he has seen smoking banned inside and outside by his other condo community.

**Bruce:** We have also discussed garbage and Chris has said he is going to create a survey for garbage.

Reba and Frank asked what was the issue with garbage.

**Bruce:** The problem is particularly with building three, access for Marie to get the cans, they're heavy, she's getting to the point where she doesn't want to lift them out of the surround. Are you there, Marie?

**Marie:** Sometimes the cans are very heavy, I don't know what people are putting in there, the cans get very heavy and lifting them up, literally my hands are above my head because of the white surround, how tall it is, and me trying to get that can out of there. Sometimes I have to lean the surround over to pull the can out. It's getting to be a bit much. And when we have two units, bottom and top that rent, the amount of trash that comes out at check-out time is unbelievable. We're having a discussion about that.

Frank suggested getting another garbage can and pointed out that there used to be four garbage cans and there were no problems. Reba suggested paying someone to transport garbage from the wells and expressed support for having trash cans in the wells.

**Bruce:** There are many competing interests that the board is trying to figure out. Next is the landscape committee update. Chris?

**Chris:** We are joined by Amy, the former chair of the committee, and I would like to turn it over to her to address the communication she and Ana sent to the board today.

**Amy:** I appreciate that the board sanctified this committee and we put forward procedures and operational guidelines. We had the tools in place to get the job done. I don't want to speak for Ana but we've been in lockstep since the beginning. We formed with Chris Piper and Don Petty. From the onset it was very difficult to keep the committee work on track and inclusive. We had very specific objectives: to streamline processes, manage our contracted landscaper, come up with a process for unit owners to put forward requests; and to bring forward an overarching landscape plan because our existing landscaping is definitely aging out. Those are achievable and manageable goals. To do so you need collaboration from all the volunteers on the committee and that has been a struggle since the beginning. So much so that Ana and I put a pin in the plan that was moving forward. Each one of us had thought that the other had been included in a conversation about a landscape plan that exceeded the boundaries of our property; we both had serious concerns about it. When we compared notes and realized that

neither of us had been included in the loop, we took an action to halt that plan and tried to get the committee back on track. In doing so, Ana and I stepped into chair and vice-chair roles, and had been moving forward to get the job done. In order to do this, everyone needs to play a role. When it comes to delegating authority within a group, Don Petty has been our liaison with our landscaper; he had been the liaison with the landscape architect. The information the committee had decided was not being accurately conveyed to the landscape architect, who went afoul of our instruction. And with Bella Terra, who has done a great job, but in terms of getting accurate information and information the committee was asking for, it has gone sideways. Both Ana and I have given a lot of time to this effort, we could have had it completed. We could have had an update for the Bella Terra contract for next year; having received input from the community, from Bruce and Marie. Realizing there were add-ons that we wanted, there were some emergency issues that needed to be addressed in the short term. Getting a price quote on specific items that have been directed by the city. Once we lost control of that bridge between our planning exercise and getting actual quotes; I have been spending an inordinate amount of time trying to organize the information I'm receiving vs the information I'm requesting. In terms of getting a simple tree permit approved to getting the full landscape plan approved, the process isn't efficient. And when one member of the committee goes directly to the board and starts to take action when we have a process in place, it's not a valuable exercise of anyone's time. I can't continue to pour countless hours into the exercise and have no result. I have serious concerns about transparency and connection to our fiscal responsibility to the budget in front of us. Ana shares these concerns. We don't see any value in seeing this committee continuing to operate when the members of the committee don't show respect for the operational guidelines that are in place, from the basic principles of Roberts Rules of Order in terms of how to conduct committee work. We're almost there, but getting over the finish line has dragged on for a year and a half; and I simply can't continue to have an acrimonious relationship with my neighbors to try to get something that should be positive completed. I don't see value in the committee continuing. I think it would be a more valuable use of time for me to convey all of the facts of our meeting minutes, and the results of all of my meetings with town officials to Chris. We have received a lot of invoices from Bella Terra recently, some of them are on point and some of them go way beyond the pale in terms of current services and future services and what we're asking for to finish up an entrance plan. I would be committed to putting all of that in order and conveying that to the board and I think it would be much more valuable for the board to take another direction. As I outlined in the email, as funds become available, we've done enough work that pieces of the plan can be implemented as the budget allows. I can answer any questions.

**Chris:** Before you do, Amy, I want to say thank you to you and to Ana for the service and the thoroughness and the detail and the commitment. It's very much appreciated by me and I am sad to see you go from this role.

**Amy:** We appreciate the professionalism you brought to our committee. It was difficult to wrangle and you gave us the support and the infrastructure to move it forward positively. We just couldn't manage it.

**Bruce:** I'll start by saying, I really appreciate the effort you put in. I know your professional background, and Ana's professional background, made it so you could have particularly relevant

input into the process and I know your interaction with city officials was very valuable. Is Mary Jo still a member of the committee?

**Amy:** Yes, she is. Before I take this information to the committee, I wanted to present it to Chris and since the timing is appropriate to this board meeting, I wanted to gather your input and then I was going to follow-up with the committee.

**Bruce:** That's helpful. Again, thank you for all your work. If, in this whole process, I've spoken out of turn or taken any actions that are inappropriate, I apologize for those; and anything I can do to change any of that, I would welcome the input. Any other board member have any comments.

**Chris:** My recommendation in the near-term is that we disband the landscape committee and that we direct landscape projects and issues, contracts, tree removal and replacement, to you, Bruce, and to Peter, from a treasurer standpoint; so we can at least maintain the right sort of fiscal control and clarity of what our vendors think they're doing and think they're going to get paid for. We just don't want to get ourselves in a sticky situation from that standpoint. Amy will draft her final report and then we can discuss how to reconstitute, whether we just fold this under the grounds committee, or some other structure. But the current committee is as dysfunctional as Amy described, and as a three person committee would not be capable of doing much.

**Bruce:** Should Marie be included? Marie has had a number of times where she has expressed frustration to me where no one is telling her anything.

**Chris:** Yes, thank you. One hundred percent.

**Amy:** In a perfect world, the liaison to the landscapers would have been managing those aspects of care to our property and given Marie updates in accordance with the property manager's role in that document that was approved by the board that was a part of the landscape committee function. That was just another aspect of the inability for certain committee members to follow the rules that were established. I feel as though the operational guidelines and all of the affiliated supporting documents are really solid. To have one member of the committee assuming that responsibility and not operating in a transparent way and taking on the directives of the full committee, that's been the problem. We were working toward the goal that Marie wouldn't need to worry about those details apart from the major aspects. That was the planned goal that the board sanctified by approving those documents.

**Bruce:** Thank you, that was helpful. We had a situation a few weeks ago that Bella Terra had come to turn off the irrigation system. That also involves turning off the water for the pool. The pool contractor was still working, trying to fix the leak. So, we had to say we didn't know you were coming, don't turn off the water yet, we need coordination with Marie for those aspects that are mated.

**Amy:** It's definitely not a good idea to impress upon our subcontractors that there is only one point of contact. That has caused a very bizarre power struggle that is not productive.

**Bruce:** Any board members have any other comments?

**Jonathan:** I just would like to know, what is the state of the project for the entranceway?

**Amy:** The design has been finalized and we received input from the inspector, the arborist, and the fire marshall that the very basic design we've put forward is acceptable. We were getting a price quote for the implementation of the planting plan, of the screening of the trash corral area,

and the replacement of the shed with a pavilion that would house the bike racks. But the quote we received included a lot of other items that were not a part of that plan.

**Chris:** Jonathan, to add onto that, we were very close after a long struggle to bring something to the board for review that was within the bounds of reality both physically and fiscally. And assuming the board was going to approve that, we were then going to bring it to the community for presentation and votes. We're close and there is a path forward. It just can't be under the current committee construction.

**Jonathan:** Thank you. That's encouraging. The last time it was shown to us it was pretty impressive.

**Chris:** Bruce, I have a question. Amy and Ana have resigned and I have made the suggestion that we should disband the committee as it is currently constituted. Do we vote on this now or do we table it?

**Bruce:** I think since we just got the email today it would be good to ponder this and take action at the next meeting of the board to disband the committee.

**Peter:** My involvement has been peripheral. But my understanding is that both Patrice and Tito have an interest in the grounds. My inclination would be to take this up at the next meeting.

**Bruce:** Update on finances. Marie, did you have any figures for the balance in the accounts?

**Marie:** Yes. The general account has 50,629, the reserve account 94,859, and the loan balance is 62,061.

**Bruce:** And is there any area of the budget where we've spent a lot and have nothing left to spend, or we haven't spent anything to know what actions might be coming up that need to be discussed in the future.

**Marie:** I have not had a chance to finish up the worksheet for the budget, I will be working on that for the next couple days. I've been dealing with a couple teenager's birthdays. They are now sixteen and seventeen. Today is Jeremiah's birthday, he just turned sixteen. But I will work on updating the worksheet and I will get that to the board members.

**Peter:** Marie, at this point, insurance was paid in September, right?

**Marie:** Yes.

**Bruce:** The next agenda item is trees. There was a question of whether there was anything we needed to do to get the permits to get the two removed, Chris, maybe you can tell us where that is.

**Chris:** That will be in Amy's wrap-up communication.

**Bruce:** Next item is the bulkhead. Jonathan?

**Jonathan:** At the last meeting there was a request to get another quote on the condition of the bulkhead and pressure treated lumber. We reached out to ten other companies, about four of them responded to say they were not interested. We had one on the line that was supposed to give us a quote in time for the meeting but they had trouble making this deadline. If he doesn't get back to me I will reach out once again to the four companies that did not respond the first time I contacted them.

**Bruce:** Do we have a deadline on the original proposal?

**Jonathan:** November 25th for Marine Solutions. I will keep trying to get another quote.

**Bruce:** Any questions on that one? Walkways by the pool and the pool leak. When the contractor originally did the walkway by the lake and the stairs and rail at the building three end, we stopped there. Marie had said there were about eight boards that were rotten and should be

replaced. The contractor inspected that section and said it would be worthwhile to replace the whole walkway between the pool and building three. When he got to the stairs he said there was nothing left. I was there and I looked. The framing for the stairs had completely rotted away. The only thing holding the stairs up was dirt. So, we replaced the stairs, too. That work was completed. Marie, how much of the work has been stained?

**Marie:** I have a little bit of the walkway left and the stairs. I anticipate being done on Wednesday. The new walkway between the building and the pool and the stairs, that will be done in the spring because it has to age for at least six months, they call it weathering. In the spring when I am powerwashing things I will clean that up and get it stained.

**Bruce:** Also, we coordinated with looking at that area once he got the wood torn up in the walkway to look at that area where it was always wet to see if it was correlated with the pool. Marie, did Phil come or someone else to look at that?

**Marie:** It was the tech, Jessica, she's been our tech for quite awhile. I believe she looked at it because there was definitely some kind of wetness there and she was going to it back to the pool to see if that might be our problem. I did not get any information on that. So, I need to get back in touch with Phil. He is our contact person at the company.

**Bruce:** You sent us a picture of the pool table that wasn't a glass top, it was different. Is that the only one available?

**Marie:** The one picture had two tabletops. The one looks like wood beams and the other one is just a textured surface. It comes in white. And the legs are just like the existing tables. I was going to go to that furniture place. It's Furniture and something...

**Bruce:** Is it Furniture and More?

**Marie:** It might be. I was going to stop there to see if they have tables like we were looking for.

**Bruce:** We need information so we can choose what we need for next year.

**Bruce:** There was something about a sewer smell. Can you explain what you have found out?

**Marie:** No. I think last week Mr. O'Malley smelled a strong odor from that sewer thing that's down there. I could smell it, too. I was cleaning stuff and blowing leaves in the parking lot. A couple night's later I was cleaning unit thirty one and it was at nighttime and in the courtyard I could smell a strong odor from it. When I was there yesterday the irrigation was shut down and I was all the way down at thirty seven and I really didn't smell it. Because I would have noticed it. There was a nice breeze going, too, so that may have helped with it. I am going tomorrow to Newbold and I'm going to purposely see if I can smell it. If I do, I will be in touch with the city so they can come check it out and see why we're having such an odor come from there.

**Chris:** Marie, this is in the parking lot by building three?

**Marie:** Yes, where the little sewer thing is in that enclosure?

**Chris:** I was there last weekend and I did notice a smell once. I'm not sure where it was coming from but it may have been the pumping station.

**Bruce:** Chimney inspections and dryer vent inspections.

**Marie:** Chimney inspections. I have a report I am typing up. Only two units can't have fires. Number thirty one, their unit's tiles are broken really bad all the way up. The bricks on the inside, the mortar had broken and stuff so it can't be used until the chimney flue is replaced and other work done. Number sixteen he found a cracked tile in the flue. It can be repaired but we need to know and there were some other minor things and I'll have that in my report when I submit it to the board. Little things that do need to be fixed, they can still use the fireplace but it

needs to be fixed. I think number four needed something, there was mortar missing from one section that he suggested that he don't use it but it's not a major thing. Some people, I couldn't get into their units. Nine and ten would not allow me in and number twelve has a keypad entry that I do not have a code for. Everyone else was great about giving me their codes when I requested it and thank you for that. And what else, dryers, the company that did unit thirty six, I got in touch with them, they were very nice. The date on that is going to be the end of November, the beginning of December. But I need to get a letter out to owners as far as who has a vent and needs it cleaned so I can get a list. The more they do the less it costs. Right now I need fifteen units getting cleaned to get a price, I don't have it in front of me, I think it's \$145-150. But if you just do it individually it's \$160. They should be cleaned every other year, I believe. Unless that's the chimney.

**Bruce:** The non-access. Did you get in touch with the owners of number twelve?

**Marie:** No, I tried every number I had and couldn't get in touch with them.

**Bruce:** Nine and ten, I came across a letter that had been sent to the owners of nine and ten in 2018 saying that we couldn't have access; and our regulations say for emergency purposes the property manager should be able to have access to all units. Marie hasn't been able to get into nine and ten for years.

Reba asked whether it was legal for nine and ten to deny access to the property manager.

**Bruce:** I will see what we can do to gain access into nine and ten. The pool leak. Did we find out anything, Marie?

**Marie:** No, I wasn't able to get in touch with Phil today. I will try again tomorrow.

**Bruce:** The gate lock. Marie, have we done anything about the gate lock?

**Marie:** I'm looking on Amazon because I know you gave me information to see if it was the right size, so I'm still working on that.

**Bruce:** We're looking for a good quality but less expensive option. Does any board member have anything else?

**Marie:** You had one here for the pool doors. We didn't know where the keys got to so I had them cut the lock off and I purchased another one for that door.

**Bruce:** That was the equipment door or the controller door?

**Marie:** One room has the pool pump in it and the other one has the irrigation and the lights. The one to the irrigation and the lights. It wasn't locking the door but the keys were missing.

**Jonathan:** The bylaws stipulate that in case of emergency, entry should be immediate.

**Bruce:** Anything from any owners?

Frank thanked Amy and Ana for their work. He said the landscape plan was perhaps too large in scope. Simplify the relationship and eliminate the role of a liaison and have Marie be the contact between all subcontractors. He urged for a contact to the city in regard to the sewer smell. He said where the public accesses our property at the entrance should be gated. Electric bikes can go very fast and it is potentially a dangerous situation. On finances, he suggested the association buy CD's for the reserve funds. He stated he cannot access the website and that he emailed Kit and had not received a response.

