

**Newbold Board Meeting**  
**February 20, 2025 at 7:00pm**

**Participants**

**Board Members:**

President Bruce Williams  
Secretary Kevin Gilchrest  
Treasurer Peter Bromley  
Landscape Committee Liaison Chris Spanos

**Property Manager**

Marie Beck

**Owners**

Michelle Bruggemann, Frank Salatel, Ken Terzian, Denise Warner

**Motion(s)**

1. The board unanimously approved draft meeting minutes for January 16th
2. The board unanimously approved a renovation request by unit thirty-one to update their electrical circuitry to accommodate an electrically powered fireplace.

**Discussion**

**Bruce:** The first order of business is to pass the minutes from our last meeting, January 16, 2025.

The minutes were unanimously approved.

**Bruce:** I don't think the manhole has been completely finished. Do you know anything, Kevin?

**Kevin:** Amy and I were there last weekend and the sidewalk is finished but the blacktop isn't. I am concerned because of the amount of rain we've had. Some of the fill material they've put in has washed out, you could almost put a flashlight in and shine it down to the sewer main. Hopefully, we don't get a lot of rain soon or they will come and fix it soon because there is a lot of washout.

**Bruce:** I will find out, I will talk to DPW. The pool skimmers are mostly done. They still have a little bit more work to do but the work is mostly done. They will notify Marie of their progress. The gate lock in front of 23 and 24 is finished, I believe, because Artie's guy was working on that yesterday or the day before. So it should be operating. The bulkhead inspection and the reserve study. The reserve study is Monday. I am going to be out there on Monday morning. We're going to go over everything, including the information I got from Amy. I sent all that along and I got some answers which I forwarded to you all. And I had a couple more that were on that list. And, we'll get everything input to them so they can give us answers on various items. The bulkhead inspection is scheduled for March 13th. Any questions? The next item is insurance.

We had the same appraiser who did the work for half of what he did last time. Six hundred instead of twelve hundred. It was thirty eight percent higher than six years ago; that works out to about six percent per year. I can't say I'm surprised, given what's happening with the price of building materials. I'll forward that to you with the analysis. I just talked to the insurance broker yesterday and got some clarification on something this morning. The current appraisal is seven million 376 thousand. And the new appraisal is ten million 217 thousand. We heard from the broker that they've been getting flat rate renewals but the insurance is based on the appraisal. I believe the insurance broker has been with us since 2002. The next appraisal we had after 2002 was 2019. This is six years later rather than seventeen years later. The by-laws say we should be 100% every year. That's a little tough to do, that would be an appraisal every year. The current cost of all four policies is fifty thousand and change. If we get a flat rate based on the appraisal, our insurance cost on the main property insurance will go up to fifty two thousand four hundred. And if everything else comes in flat, we will have a total cost of about sixty four thousand. In our budget we have fifty eight-eight. Our budget will likely have to be adjusted to cover the shortfall.

**Peter:** Trump has just slapped tariffs on imported steel. I am presuming this assessment does not include that yet.

**Bruce:** The appraisal is based on the buildings. We finally got a break on the flat rate, but I was told that it's doing the right thing to keep more current with the appraisal. So it wasn't that many years ago when our insurance was seventeen thousand. Next is the pool furniture order. I stopped into the furniture place and they have a quick turnaround. We need one large table and I sent information about the small tables to the board. Kevin, you were going to see if you could find our table for a cheaper price.

**Kevin:** I haven't been able to find anything that was the same style for cheaper. I don't know about mixing and matching, that probably isn't a good idea. Unless we want to go with a different look altogether.

**Chris:** I am in favor of purchasing the small tables and consistency with the furniture.

**Bruce:** We will try the two small tables and the one large table and we should be in good shape. Next is the foyer door lock replacement policy. We have twenty outdoor locks to get into the foyer. Unit thirty wanted to get a lever lock. Lever locks are ADA rated and knobs are not. A number of the knobs need to be replaced. My feeling was if we could spend a little bit more and get the lever locks. I know we talked about keying to the master. Marie?

**Marie:** We have to have it keyed to the master key and then the question is do I key it to the existing keys that owners have or do I use the keys that came with the lock.

**Bruce:** One of the main differences is if it's keyed to the existing keys, that's individual rekeying, if we have a new master, we can distribute new keys that's a lot cheaper.

**Peter:** I think it increases logistics for Marie, she has to meet people or mail a new key to people.

**Marie:** I think if I have to mail them it's going to even out, if I have it keyed to the existing key or mail new keys to the owners. I think it's going to be harder for the owners who have a lot of existing keys, they will have to have all new keys made.

Denise Warner expressed her preference to keep the same keys.

**Bruce:** So do we have a consensus that we are going to stick with the same keys?

**Chris:** I think that's fine. Are we replacing all locks? Are we deciding to do that?

**Bruce:** If we're sticking with the same keys and it involves individual rekeying, I don't think we have to replace them all now, unless we want to.

**Chris:** Our knob, we have to fight it. I would love to have it replaced.

**Kevin:** Our knob at number three is on its way out. I've been taking it apart for months and spraying it with silicone lubricant and it works really well for about a week and then has a precipitous decline. Last weekend, Amy and I weren't able to open the door at all. It's been a few months since I sprayed it with silicone. I don't have a preference regarding levers vs. knobs, I would want to hear what everyone else has to say.

Ken Terzian said to use powdered graphite, not silicone, to lubricate locks. He also said to make sure the cores were compatible with the new locks if we are going to keep the existing keys.

**Bruce:** It sounds like we should replace them all, our lock gives us fits, too.

**Chris:** Is this in the budget?

**Bruce:** I am going to see how it's treated when I meet on Monday with Miller Dodson; if we're replacing all twenty of them, and it's included in the door price, that just comes out of the reserve. Next up is a report on the landscape committee. Chris, you want to give us a sense of where we are?

**Chris:** The landscape committee is down to three with the resignation of Don Petty. It is composed of Frank, Chris P and Mary Jo. So we have two open slots. I have not had an update from the committee, I don't think much has taken place. As far as communications with contractors such as Bella Terra, I think that needs to be turned over to a combination of Marie and Bruce to keep things moving; as it relates to the trees, I don't have an update on that. But given that the wind has taken out one of the trees, we do need to get an update on next steps.

**Bruce:** The more important aspect of that is that it may be a good time to take down the two remaining dead trees; what is our status with the city as far as our ability to do that?

**Chris:** I think that's unclear and we have to get clarity on it. But the committee seems to be in a period of flux.

**Bruce:** Marie, do you have any input on those dead trees?

**Marie:** It is my understanding that we don't count the ones on the property line, so the one by the shed should not count as something that we have to replace more trees with, if we can't count it they can't enforce that with us. The only one is the one behind building one that would need to have a plan of replanting trees. And I don't have paperwork on how many trees they needed but I know that Steve at Complete Tree was ready to go but we needed that plan first; so we know where we're going to put trees and how many we're going to put in. But he's willing to help with that, with getting a permit.

**Chris:** I don't think we settled on a plan where to put the trees.

**Marie:** I think they just need like a plan. So if we could just get something together that says I don't know how many trees we have to replace but if we just have something that says we are going to plant this particular type of tree and find some spaces for them, I think they'd be okay with that even if we need to change that plan a little bit in the future.

**Chris:** I think the best action I can take is to send an email to the committee members plus Bruce and Marie and say we need to come together quickly to put a bow on this.

**Bruce:** Do we need something that we don't already have for Complete Tree to go in and get the permit to take out the two trees.

**Chris:** I think we have everything we need, we just need someone to take the lead. If we go back four months ago, Amy was all ready to go on this and the committee went into a state of change with a wave of resignations. I think we probably have what we need, we just need someone to take the lead on putting a bow on it.

**Bruce:** Kevin, can I ask you to find out from Amy, the broad question of making sure we don't need anything additional, and she can relay that to me. And what we want to be able to do is take out those two dead trees now, in the next month or two.

**Kevin:** Alright. I will find out that information and I will provide a summary for everyone very soon.

**Bruce:** Thank you. Alright. Anything else regarding the landscape committee?

**Chris:** We need two new members. So, we need to put out that communication to the community.

Denise Warner asked why more members were necessary and a discussion ensued about making the landscape committee as viable as possible, how committees are formed in general, and the purpose and function that is hoped for the landscape committee. Frank Salatel joined the meeting and the discussion. He proposed having a meeting with the committee very soon. He discussed the entrance issue regarding 1001 and their empty lot. There was also more discussion regarding the two dead trees.

**Bruce:** Regarding the owner's of Dutch's former house, who put in the paperwork for going through the process of getting a second lot, I've heard from my sources at the city, this coming Monday is the deadline for the owners of 1001 to appeal the decision by the head of licensing. So, if we reach Monday and they haven't filed an appeal then this issue is dead, we don't have to worry about it. Anything else on the landscape committee? Alright, preliminary budget discussions. Peter and I met and went over some issues, let me check my notes. Some of the things that are going to affect the budget are the bank loan. We had a variable rate the first five years, the first five years are up in June. We put some money in the current year's budget to deal with the fact that the loan's rate is prime plus a half; I put in a call to the loan officer at Link Bank to find out what they think they're going to do so we could prepare. Regarding insurance, the current budget has 58,880 for insurance, and the amount that is likely needed is 64,000 at a minimum so we are going to have to raise that.

Frank asked if that was all the policies together and Bruce confirmed.

**Bruce:** Regarding utilities, we're going to find out about electricity and water, but not in time to do the budget; but we will find out about the stormwater fee, whether that goes in or not, because that would have to go into the city's budget that they finalize in March. The other thing I'm going to talk about with the Miller Dodson people on Monday is the remaining bit of reimbursing the reserve account for the money that was drawn from the reserve to pay the

insurance in 2015 that we never reimbursed the reserve account from the operating account. Marie, do you remember the figure, I always think it's about 16,000, is that about right?

**Marie:** That sounds close. Without looking at the numbers I don't know.

**Bruce:** We are in a good position to do that from the money we had at the end of 2024; but that also cuts down our ability to cover other things as we go through the budget so we're going to have to consider what we're going to do there. So, I'm going to talk to the guy from Miller Dodson on Monday from their point of view, what that does. It's a federal tax issue for one thing. Tree maintenance, we've been carrying 4,000 per year, we spent more than 4,000 last year. In addition to the two dead trees, Steve pointed out there are some places where branches are getting close to the roof and they need to be trimmed back. Also, the crepe myrtles are in need of another trimming. So, we need to be prepared for that. We are pretty good with the pool. The other thing we're going to have to look at is, we've had constant numbers for the reserve account for the last three years because we took the figure that includes inflation and we did that every time. As we look at the number of the reserve portion of the assessment it's very likely to take a jump. So we are going to have to spend some time on the budget figuring out what we need to do. I'm trying to gather all this stuff to give us as good figures as possible to work with. Don't forget, we need to have the budget on a certain time track to lead up to the owner's meeting; we'll be in a position to do that. Peter, do you have anything you want to add?

**Peter:** I think you covered all the issues.

**Bruce:** I haven't done any analysis on what we can afford to put in a CD. Peter or Kevin?

**Peter:** I have done some research. Grabbing a CD from Link Bank for 4.25% for 7 months, if we end up in a situation if we need to do something with the bulkhead, chances are we're going to need every penny, there are unanswered questions about that. The good news is that the highest rates right now are on the shortest term CD's of 7 months with Link, who we're doing business with. A lot of unanswered questions right now.

**Kevin:** Based on our very brief discussion we had at the last meeting, with Frank's input, with the legality of investing in anything other than CD's. The research that I did shows that that is correct, or standard. It's rare for a condo association to make investments that are outside of something like a CD that wouldn't be FDIC insured. Even though stocks are protected up to a certain amount by SPIC. A similar protection but different. Frank's assessment, I know Frank is here, was correct.

**Peter:** How we might choose to make our own investments and assume risk, is different from a situation like the association where we're talking about other people's money. It speaks to a more conservative approach in terms of the risks we take.

**Frank:** Talking about the reserve account, not the operating account, the reserve account, in theory you're not going to spend it in 12 months. If you took \$10,000 and you got a CD at four percent for 12 months. Four percent of ten thousand is 400 dollars. You make nothing if you keep it in a savings account. As far as risk the CD is FDIC insured. The government will get our money back so there is no more risk getting a CD than if you just kept it in the bank. It takes nothing more than a discussion with the bank, maybe a visit in person to set it up. After that you can roll it over with a phone call and a letter. The first time takes some time. If all of a sudden something happens and you need the money, what do you lose? You lose the interest you earned but nothing more, so it would just be like having it in a savings account where you're not

earning anything anyway. The other stuff doesn't have the same risk, it has more risk. Our fiduciary responsibility says no. We're not going to buy hedge funds, bitcoin, gold, silver, or anything else which might be good investments but not for a condo association. You should get CD's. Pick the rate, pick the length and then once they're established it's relatively easy money that's the same risk as a savings account.

Denise Warner complimented Frank's assessment and Bruce thanked him and said there was \$89,000 in the reserve account. Chris asked about transferring the interest in the CD account to the general account to cover the cost of insurance increases. There was a discussion about how a transfer would be unnecessary because the interest would simply reduce the amount of cash it would require to fund the reserve.

**Bruce:** Unit 31 has requested approval for their renovation. Peter, do you want to explain what your renovation entails?

**Peter:** We want to put a low capacity furnace in our unit. We are asking for the ability to put a new circuit into our electrical box so we can power the furnace; which will be placed in our fireplace.

This renovation request was unanimously approved.

**Peter:** At a future time, I think we should talk about, we do inspections and find issues, unless a new chimney liner is installed, and Wertz quoted that repair at \$5-6,000, so we are not going that route. We may not be the only ones who have these issues, we may want to talk about how owners communicate this to future owners, that essentially, fireplaces are unusable for their intended purpose of burning fires in them.

**Bruce:** Marie, can you give an update on the repair of the mailboxes. The USPS no longer does the repair so it is up to us.

**Marie:** I was in touch with a company, located in California, they seem to be the big company, I was in touch with the post office who gave me a couple numbers to call. They were the only ones that had that particular style, they seem to be out of, they're not making them anymore. So, I just needed the measurements for her. I got those. So, I am going to be ordering two because both left and right one, the pedestal needs to be replaced at the base, they are rusted out. So, I will be ordering those and getting them installed as soon as they get here.

**Bruce:** So, we'll have three that have been updated and that should take us for awhile, and the mailboxes as a package will go into the reserve study as something additional as a capital expense.

**Kevin:** What's the cost for the new posts?

**Marie:** Because they are a heavier metal than the ones that I thought they were. I think they were like \$136 for each one. I don't seem to have that piece of paper here. I'm thinking it's around that and then with shipping, I am not sure how much shipping would be. Oh, I have it here. \$132.00 Salsbury Industries. The postmaster had sent me a list and I had to get in touch with each company to find out who had them because they're not manufacturing that style anymore.

**Bruce:** The next time, we'll have to order the whole thing. A couple months ago when Artie was working on unit thirteen, he investigated a leak around the window. They found out whoever installed the window installed the j channel incorrectly and it was feeding the water that ran down the wall of the building into the wall rather than out. He said there may be more like this and we can fix it but it involves taking siding off. I asked him to go around and do a survey of the lower units and eyeball which ones are done correctly and incorrectly and we can decide if we want to anywhere with that. Technically, the windows are the responsibility of the owners. The current spec is to use PCV surround and use header flashing and j channel so it's all done correctly. Depending on the results of the inspection, that might be a way to go that doesn't involve taking all the siding off. We'll wait and see what we get on that. We haven't talked about smoking policy in awhile. We put some work into that and when we get a chance we'll get back to that.

Frank suggested to include vaping with smoking. Denise asked for clarification about the reason for the policy. Chris clarified that the current smoking policy is vague. Denise asked if this involved changing the regulations and bylaws and Bruce said yes. Chris discussed the survey that he sent to the board owners and offered to reshare it for the board.

**Kevin:** I would like to go back to the windows. Can you be more specific about how the j channel was improperly installed? I've never seen j channel installed like it's installed at Newbold. To me, it looks like there was t 1-11, then there was trim around the windows for t 1-11. And then whoever installed the siding put up the j channel around the window trim that was already there; and just installed it like that and siliconed everything to waterproof it. I mean, that's what it looks like to me for any of the windows that are still of the age for when that work was done.

**Bruce:** The work on the windows has been done by different people at different times over the years. And we probably have three or four different ways it's installed. The one that's incorrect, essentially, when you wrap the window, you bend the j channel over the top, you do the side first, and then you bend the top so it goes over it; instead they didn't do that so the water hits the top of the window and is then fed behind the side piece and goes into the wall.

**Kevin:** So, the j channel doesn't go past the corners and doesn't go at a ninety degree angle down, so they're not following the down and out of the water. A lot of windows are incorrectly installed if that's what you're talking about. As a matter of fact, when I look at my windows I don't see one window where that was done. I know the trim, that looks like it's one by fours with aluminum cladding that goes around the windows, is old school t 1-11 trim. I bet if you pulled that trim off you would just see t 1-11 underneath of it. To do it properly, you would pull off the trim and you would flash around the window and then you would put the j channel up against the window and then you would trim over that if you wanted. I've never seen the j channel attached that way. It just looks like an avenue for just a lot of water to get in any place where there is a pinhole where the silicone has degraded or been poked through somehow or whatever. A lot of those aluminum claddings around the windows are peeling away and looking shabby. If you look at new windows that have been installed, that old cladding was pulled off, the new windows were put in and flashed, I don't know if they were done correctly because the j channel is still in the same place, it's not where it should be, it should be up against the window.

**Bruce:** That's why we're getting the survey and getting an idea of what we're dealing with.

**Chris:** Does this issue apply to the upper units or just the lower?

**Bruce:** All the windows. The painted aluminum is blistering because it has been hit with a hammer by whoever was installing it. We are adjourned.

Multiple people said thank you and good night.